Bloggen för Expats | Moving to Sweden | Relocation to Sweden

A guide to importing your car to Sweden

Jan 13, 2017 anne_pihl
116 /  

Moving to Sweden?

Perhaps you are considering bringing your car with you. But is it worth it and what is required? We’ve put together a guide which outlines the steps required to import your car including the documents you will need, the basic requirements for vehicle importation and the different methods of shipping available. We hope you find it useful.

What are the steps you need to take?

• Clear the car through customs.
• Purchase road traffic insurance and obtain a temporary registration from an insurance agency in Sweden.
• Pay the required Value Added tax (VAT) which is based on the car value   for new cars.
• Obtain verification of origin by filing an application.
• Have the car inspected.
• Have a roadworthy test carried out for your car
• Obtain a registration number and activate the registration

Make sure you’ve an experienced shipper

It’s crucial that you hire a reliable company who has experience dealing with Swedish customs and can help you transition the car easily to Sweden. The agent working with you from the car shipper will be able to assist you with obtaining all the correct forms, making sure the car is road worthy and letting you know how much you will need to pay to cover taxes, shipping fees and all other requirements to ship the car. They will also help you determine the best method of shipping for your vehicle.

Documents you will need to ship your car

The documents you are going to need to ship your car to Sweden are basically legal papers that will show you own the car being imported.

These papers include:
• Valid Driver’s License
• Original Vehicle Title
• Original Vehicle Registration
• Passport with Recent Photo
• Sales Invoice/Bill of Sale or Other Sales Paperwork. The paperwork must   show when the vehicle was purchases, where it was purchased and what the total sales price was.
• Customs Form for the Vehicle
• Bill of Lading
• Proof of Insurance. (You will need to obtain a Swedish insurance policy to drive legally)

Basic requirements for vehicle importation

Along with the required paperwork, there are a few stipulations that will need to be met to bring a car into the country. You will need to get a Swedish Personal Identification Number before you can import anything. You must also adhere to the following basic requirements for personal vehicle importation:
• The vehicle can only be used for personal use and you must sign a declaration stating it will not be used for business.
• You must own the car for at least one year before importing it.
• Only one personal car may be imported every three years.
• To import your personal car, you must have plans to live in Sweden
permanently and must have prior authorization from immigration to remain past the three months allowable for a tourist.
• You must agree to not sell the car within one year of arrival.

How to ship

Once you have made your mind up to ship the car, you must determine the best way to ship. This comes down to two essential modes of transport that include driving your car onto a ship or securing it inside a container.

• Roll-On, Roll-Off (RORO) – Motor vehicles of all sizes, makes and models are driven, or rolled, onto the deck of the RORO vessel, secured in place with soft, damage-free straps and then shipped overseas. RORO is the least expensive way to move a car to Sweden and it may be the fastest for delivery.

• Container– Container shipping is going to cost more than RORO shipping but it is the most secure way to ship overseas. Vehicles, as well as other goods, are loaded inside of large shipping containers. Containers can be purchased in 20 foot, 40 foot or other sizes for overseas shipment. Once everything is loaded inside, the doors are sealed and the contents are protected from sea water, birds and other animals, vandals and weather. Containers are the best way to ship classics, luxury model vehicles and expensive cars.

Need help?

Contact us at for assistance with your relocation to Sweden. Alternatively you can contact a shipping company directly.

Relocate to Sweden provides expert advice and hands-on help for companies recruiting internationally or transferring staff to Sweden. We help your international recruits with the entire relocation process including immigration, home finding, tax consultancy, registration with Swedish authorities, schools, health care, translations, language and intercultural training. Email us at or call us on +46 8 361011 if you would like help. You can also read more about our relocation services at or follow us on social media for tips and advice.

Vi gör relocation enklare

Expertråd och praktisk hjälp genom hela relocation-processen

Kontakta oss

Få en offert

[contact-form-7 id='639' title='Contact Popup (Swedish)']

Få en offert

[contact-form-7 id='639' title='Contact Popup (Swedish)']

Få en offert

[contact-form-7 id='639' title='Contact Popup (Swedish)']